Form HA-501 | Request For Hearing By Administrative Law Judge

tai tro choiIf you do not agree with the reconsideration decision we made on your application for benefits, you may request a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ). To request a hearing, you may use this form or write a letter.

HA-501, Request For Hearing By Administrative Law Judge

If you are not sure this is the form you should use, the Notice of Reconsideration (reconsideration determination) that you received will tell you that to appeal our decision, you should request a hearing before an ALJ. If the notice does not say this, or if you still are not sure this is the form you should complete, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or your local Social Security officetai tro choi and we will help you complete the right appeal form.

tai tro choiIf you are requesting a hearing on the denial of a claim for disability benefits, you must complete and sign additional forms. These forms are:

You may also need to complete a form SSA-1696, Appointment of Representativetai tro choi, if you are appointing a representative. Your representative should also sign the SSA-1696 before you send it to us.

tai tro choiYou must appeal within 60 days from the date you got the reconsideration decision. We assume you got the reconsideration decision within 5 days of the date shown on that notice unless you can show us you did not get it within the 5-day period.

Time to Submit New Evidence

You should inform us about or submit evidence no later than 5 business days before the scheduled hearing. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in the ALJ declining to consider the evidence.